Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

WATERWAYS PATROL: Customs Boss Harps On Physical Distancing Of Personnel , Impounds Clothes, Rice Others

The Western Marine Command of the Nigeria Customs Services on Tuesday, appealed to officers and men on 24 hours patrol at sea to maintain physical distancing as part of efforts to curb the spread COVID19 .

Area Controller in charge of the marine enforcement command , Comptroller Olugboyega Peters, who gave the charge while briefing newsmen on activities of the command , said the operatives have to rejig it’s strategies to make the seizures possible during the lockdown order.

The Area Controller said “we should emphasis more on physical distancing as social distancing is an understatement.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

“The spread of COVID19 is real and that is why I always emphasized on what our medical personnel has instructed for us to wash our hands regularly with soap alongside sanitizer.

“My officers have been warned about the COVID19 pandemic by ensuring that they maintain physical distancing.”

Comptroller Peters reiterated officers and men commitment and determination toward making the waterways unbearable for “No go area ” for smugglers especially at a time criminal would want to take the advantage of the lockdown and stay at home order to ship in un-customs goods into the country.

He also warned daredevil smugglers to find another means of livelihood adding that ” no matter their antics ,they will meet their waterloo.

Highlighting the seizures recorded, he noted that a a total of 342 bags of foreign parboiled rice were intercepted with Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N7,558,200.00.

ALSO READ  NIMASA Orders Licensed Stevedoring Firms To Begin Operations,

Other items impounded by the command include 30 large sacks Premium Motor Spirit PMS with HS Code of 6310 with each containing about 150 litres, totalling 4,500 litres.

 

Bags of foreign parboiled rice impounded by Operatives of WMC laden in a fibre boat.

The customs boss also said five bales of fabrics with DPV of N550,000.00 and two other second hand clothing materials of N168,000 were consficated over the weekend.

According to him, the total DPV of the seizure stood at N8,276,200.00, even as he added that the items were intercepted along Ere,Ekere, Yekeme and Badagry axis of the Western waterways, pointing out the feat was achieved as a result of intelligence gathering , surveillance and 24 hours patrol of the waterways by operatives of the command.

Meanwhile the service has donated food items and other relief materials worth N3.2billion as part of contribution to prevent the spread of the virus in Nigeria.

Among the items to be distributed to the public include 158 trailer loads of rice which is an equivalent of 46,000 metric tons .

National Public Relations Officer of the service, Deputy Controller Joseph Attah in a statement noted that only edible items certified fit for human consumption by NAFDAC will be released to the public.

He explained that in line with the provision of section 167(2) of CEMA CAP C45 LFN 2004, seized items upon condemnation and forfeiture to the Federal Government by a competent court of jurisdiction are kept in government warehouses pending Government directive on its disposal.

 

Some of the seized items on display at the WMC headquarters in Lagos

Attah said in compliance with the Presidential directive, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Col, Hameed Ali (Rtd) has already approved the release of the following relief items to boost the Federal Government continuous efforts to alleviate sufferings associated with the painful but necessary ongoing lockdown in some parts of the Country.

Other items include to be distributed to the public include: Vegetable oil (25l) 36,495kegs (30 trucks), Palm oil 3,428 kegs (1 truck) , Tomatoes paste 136,705 cartons , (54 trucks)
Spaghetti/Noodles 2,951cartons .

Others are 1,253pkts (2trucks), Wrappers (Ankara) 828 bales (1truck), Lace fabric 2,300 Rolls (1 truck).

Giving a breakdown on the items ,he said an estimated market value of commodities is N3,251,806,000.00) with Duty Paid Value of N2,034,954,765.00.

 

Area controller, WMC , Nigeria Customs Services,Comptroller Olugboyega Peters in a chat with newsmen on Tuesday in Lagos.

While urging the officers and men to remain focused on Service delivery, he said “The Comptroller General Customs reminds the operatives and all Nigerians on the need to obey all directives of Government and medical experts to stop the spread of the deadly virus.

ALSO READ  Merchant Navy Reaffirms Support For NIWA Management , Describes Oyebamiji As Mr.Project

“The outbreak of the deadly Corona Virus (Covid-19) necessitated various and continuous actions by Government at different levels to prevent/stop the spread of the virus in Nigeria.

“Reacting to pains associated with the effects of the lockdown in some parts of the Country, some Nigerians have taken to the social media to call on Nigeria Customs Service to share seized rice and other edible items to members of the public.

“While some of these calls appear well intended, others had attempted to create the impression that Customs Officers have the liberty to use seized items as they deem fit.

“Some even mischievously impugned that the items may have already been shared to cronies. Nothing can be further from the truth.

The spokesman added that :”As a responsible agency of Government, NCS appreciates the opportunity of contributing its quota to Federal Government’s continuous efforts to provide relief for Nigerians in this difficult time.

“NCS remains committed to strictly adhering to all extant laws governing seized and overtime cargoes. Despite the prevailing risks, the Service will continue to discharge its functions of securing the land borders and collection of revenue that is needed during and post Covid- 19 pandemic period.

.

By Roland Ekama

Comments are closed.