Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

UPDATE: Debris From Indonesian Submarine  Found, As Rescue Hopes Of 53 Seafarers Aboard  Faded

Indonesian officials say debris from a missing submarine was found after the vessel sank as hopes of rescuing 53 sailors on board faded.

 

The search team on Sunday focused on pinpointing the sub’s exact location. Authorities warned any salvage operation would be risky and difficult in the deep waters.

 

Singapore’s MV Swift Rescue – a submarine rescue vessel – arrived to aid in the recovery effort, the navy said. Neighbouring Malaysia as well as the United States, India and Australia were among the nations helping in the search.

 

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

There are few bonds stronger than that of sailors on a submarine. Each person selected for the crew must fulfill a critical role in an intricate interplay that allows a small metal vessel to dive deep in the sea for weeks at a time.

 

Corridors are so cramped that sailors cannot pass each other without one person giving way. The whir of the engine thrums, a constant reverberation felt in the teeth. Sailors are stacked in narrow bunks. They practice what one submariner calls “thrifty” breathing, in order to conserve the most precious commodity in a bubble that is cruising underwater: breathable air.

ALSO READ  62 Seafarers' Injured , As Two Vessels With Crude Collide In South China Sea
The 53 sailors aboard the ill-fated submarine in a group photograph

 

“It’s a very strong brotherhood,” said Frans Wuwung, a retired sailor who trained the crew of the KRI Nanggala-402, one of the Indonesian Navy’s five submarines. “We are friends for life.”

 

On Wednesday, well before dawn, 53 people descended underwater as the Nanggala began torpedo drills in the southern Pacific Ocean. It should have been a routine activity for the 44-year-old German-made submarine.

 

 

 

The commander of Indonesia’s five vessel submarine fleet, Col. Harry Setyawan, who had started his sailing career on the Nanggala after graduating at the top of his class from the naval academy, was aboard.

 

- Advertisement -

His family, like that of most submarine sailors, waited at home, their nervousness about his deployment leavened by the knowledge that he always came back.

 

“Submarine sailors are well trained,” said Winny Widayanti, Colonel Harry’s wife. “They are great people.”

 

ALSO READ  SUEZ CANAL: 3 MV Ever Given’ Crew Members Allowed To Return Home

About 3 a.m., the Nanggala was granted permission to begin the drill, in waters north of the Indonesian island of Bali. Its dark hull sank into the dark waters. Then silence. Sonar pings went unanswered. The Nanggala had disappeared.

 

 

The list of submarine disasters outside war is thankfully brief. But the drama of underwater struggles, as sailors desperately preserve oxygen while battling influxes of water or internal failures and explosions, is intense. And there are rare miracles. In the case of a Russian Navy submarine trapped in a fishing net in 2005, seven sailors were freed by a rescue crew just a few hours before their oxygen would have run out.

 

With Indonesian Navy officials counting the dwindling hours of breathable air aboard the Nanggala, ships and aircraft from multiple countries, including the United States, converged on the Bali Sea in hopes of locating the submarine. The fear was that the vessel might run out of oxygen as early as Saturday morning.

 

Then, on Saturday afternoon, Adm. Yudo Margono, the Indonesian Navy’s chief of staff, announced that debris found a couple miles from where the submarine had descended three days before, and he confirmed that the vessel had sunk to a deep seabed and fractured.

ALSO READ  Port Authorities Declare Commitment For Seaports To Remain Open Amid COVID19 Pandemic

 

 

Some of the items found floating in the water had been disgorged from inside the Nanggala: pieces of Muslim prayer mats, special sponges for clearing condensation, and a bottle of grease used to lubricate periscopes.

 

No bodies of crew members have been found, Admiral Yudo was quoted saying.

 

Multibeam sonar technology indicated that the Nanggala had sunk 850 meters, Admiral Yudo said, far below what is called “crush depth,” where the pressure is so intense that a steel-hulled submarine could split.

 

Even if the Nanggala somehow landed in an underwater valley with one of its chambers unbreached by water, the chances of surviving at such depths for so long with limited oxygen is minuscule, said Susaningtyas Nefo Handayani Kertopati, an Indonesian military and intelligence analyst.

 

 

 

Comments are closed.