Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

President Buhari Welcomes Release Of Train Hostages

President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his happiness and satisfaction, and that of the entire nation with the military as well as other security agencies on safe release of the remaining 23 kidnapped train passengers held in captivity by Boko Haram terrorists.

Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President, (Media & Publicity) said in a statement on Wednesday, October 5, 2022.

In a reaction to the news of the safe release of the hostages in line with his earlier directives, President Buhari said the nation owed the military and all other security and intelligence agencies a debt of gratitude for the successful conduct of the operation leading to the release of the hostages, saying that these agencies had shown outstanding capabilities over this period that the whole world will not fail to take note of.

 

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

“This country’s Armed Forces are as good as any. Given needed support and encouragement as we have been doing, there is no task that they cannot accomplish. I commend them for this remarkable outcome,” the President said.

ALSO READ  FG Raises Alarm Over Looted Expired , Fake Drugs From NAFDAC Kaduna Office

In expressing satisfaction with the successful deployment of both kinetic and non-kinetic processes leading to the eventual safe release of the remaining hostages, President Buhari also congratulated the families of the victims for having them back alive.

He directed that the relief that comes to the nation arising from the closure of this unfortunate saga must be sustained at all times, all over the federation.The President also credited his government for resolving the issue and the de-escalation of the terrorism, banditry and kidnapping that surged recently, giving assurances that the efforts will be sustained.

 

 

 

Terrorists on Wednesday freed 23 remaining captives of the Kaduna train attack.

This was disclosed by the Secretary of the Chief of Defence Staff Action Committee, Usman Yusuf.

 

Yusuf said that the hostages were released at about 4pm on Wednesday.

 

He said that the committee took the custody of the victims who were kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists during an attack on a moving passenger train in Kaduna on March 28, 2022.

 

The terrorists, who attacked the AK9 Train in Kaduna, had before now released hostages in piecemeal with the last release being on August 19, 2022.

 

The insurgents had blown up the rail track and bombed the moving train, killing some and abducting more than 60 passengers. The unprecedented attack had attracted international and national outrage.

 

Distraught family members had protested several times to demand the release of their loved ones.

 

Worried about the situation, the Nigeria Railway Corporation temporarily suspended activities, with President Muhammadu Buhari directing security agencies to rescue the victims after he met their families.

 

The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, had said the Abuja-Kaduna rail line will not resume until all those kidnapped by bandits in March are rescued and reunited with their families.

ALSO READ  KADUNA SECURITY UPDATE: No Bandits' Barricade On Kaduna-Abuja Road - Commissioner

 

A terrorist negotiator, Tukur Mamu, was on September 6, 2022 arrested in Cairo, Egypt while on his way to Saudi Arabia and returned to Nigeria the next day.

 

The Department of State Services had alleged that Mamu, who negotiated between terrorists and families of kidnap victims, was part of an international terrorist network and used the cover of journalism to perpetrate his deeds. Kaduna-based Islamic cleric, Sheikh AhmaGumi, to whom Mamu is an aide, had  the arrest of Mamu.

 

Gumi had asked the security agency to charge Mamu to court if it had any evidence against him, rather than keeping him in custody.

 

But the DSS, in its reaction, said it would not be distracted by some skewed narratives in the media and requested to be left alone to concentrate on the ongoing investigations, the outcomes of which it said have remained ‘mindboggling’.

 

 

Comments are closed.