Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

Plateau Govt Designates 7 Courts To Prosecute 307 Suspects Over Looting

The Plateau State Security Council has again met to deliberate on the security situation following the massive looting that has been perpetrated across the State in the last two days.

Dr. Makut Simon Macham,Director of Press & Public Affairs to the Governor of Plateau State in a statement on Monday, quoted Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof. Danladi Atu saying,so far, 7 courts have been designated for the prosecution of the 307 suspects so far arrested at various locations where the looting took place.

Atu said the situation is calm but still fluid as there are still threats to attack other public and private businesses as well as individuals.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

He said the Council agreed to further fortify all check-points in Jos South and Jos North Local Government Areas to give effect to the curfew imposed in order to restore peace that will determine the next line of action.

ALSO READ  Hidden N19.3bn Kogi Salary Bail-Out Funds Returned To CBN 

The SSG also said that security agencies have been mandated to embark on massive manhunt for the arrest of looters and ensure materials are recovered while the culprits are prosecuted.

The Council warned members of the public from consuming some of the looted food items because they are dangerous for human consumption as they have been chemically treated for preservation.

Members of the public were further advised to be aware of these dangers and not to patronize the product of these looters.

- Advertisement -

The Council also encouraged the sustenance of all channels of engagement and dialogue with youth groups, community leaders, professional bodies, associations and traditional rulers to foster more understanding that will lead to a de-escalation of the current situation.

ALSO READ  Gov. Lalong Frowns At Persistent Attacks In Bassa LG, Meets Irigwe/Fulani Leaders

Members of the security forces were commended for their efforts so far and encouraged to continue to work in restoring and maintaining peace in the State.

The Government has also promised to look into their challenges with a view to addressing them and making them more effective.

The Government again restated that there was no hoarding of palliatives as the looted items were delivered to the State by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development just before the #ENDSARS protests began which made it difficult for the distribution to commence before the sad looting and destruction of the warehouses.

The council advised members of the public to be wary of propaganda and disinformation that is perpetrated through the social media to incite the people against government and encourage chaos, saying no society can exist without law and order.

ALSO READ  Brig General Onyema Nwachukwu Assumes Command As Director Army P.R

Council notes that up till now, some political leaders and traditional rulers have not engaged their people as resolved with at the stakeholders meeting with the Governor.

They are being called upon to do so and submit reports to government immediately.
As at 26th October 2020, some of the looted and vandalized properties include: SEMA Warehouse (Old Nitel Bukuru), PRUWASSA, PADP (Dogon Dutse Jos), Mineral Museum (Angul D, Bukuru), ASTC Vom, Plateau Publishing Company, SUBEB (Dogon Dutse), Government Technical College Bukuru, Ryom Local Government Secretariat, School of Home Economics Vom, Jos foods, Jos Trade Fair (Polo), Private Residence of former Speaker, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara.

Others such as Grand Cereals Bukuru, State and Federal Secretariats and Private residences of some individuals have also been threatened.

 

Comments are closed.