Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

PENGASSAN, Gov Wike At Loggerhead Over Detention Of ExxonMobil Offshore Personnel

The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN ) has expressed worries over the illegal detention of ExxonMobil Offshore Personnel by Rivers State authorities.

In a statement by the association’s chairman, Razaq Obe and the Secretary, Odoudua, PENGASSAN said ExxonMobil Nigeria, like other responsible organizations, has adopted 14- day isolation of all personnel as a prerequisite for offshore travels to mitigate COVID-19 risk.

The statement said same was mirrored in various communications from Rivers State government, which permitted unfettered movements of other IOCs’ essential service personnel and critical materials.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

According to the statement, it has facilities in Akwa Ibom State and Port Harcourt (Intels) to operate.

PENGASSAN said: ” At about 3:30pm on Thursday April 16, 2020, Rivers State Commissioner of Police with his team and a top Army commander intercepted the convoy (protected by the police) conveying 21 ExxonMobil personnel who are PENGASSAN members on their way to Intels, Port Harcourt, at Bori (Akwa Ibom/Rivers boundary).

ALSO READ  Akwa Ibom Kicks Against NBS Statistics On Unemployment

“The commissioner rebuffed all explanations and forced them to move to Elekaya Stadium, Port Harcourt, where they have been detained, verbally assaulted and starved.

“The original pretext for sending them to the stadium was to test for COVID-19 but there was no such possibility at the location; it is a construction site. They rather served them papers to write statements.

“It is appalling that Rivers State authorities have turned the global effort to tame COVID-19 to a tool of muscle-flexing and petty oppression of oilfield workers.

- Advertisement -

“We condemn the continued detention of the 21 members of our Union who stake everything to produce the oil the country depends on for survival.

ALSO READ  Borno Governor Tasks Nigerian Army To Take War To Insurgents, Not Repel

“We call on all stakeholders to prevail on the government of Rivers State to end this most unpleasant drama. Our members have broken no law.”

Meanwhile the Rivers state Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, Friday said he is fully prepared for legal battle against ExxonMobil.

Wike, who spoke while addressing a press conference at Government House, Port Harcourt, opined that Rivers state cannot leave corporate bodies who violated the state’s lockdown order to go free, whereas, petty traders like Akara and Groundnut sellers are charged to court for same violation.

Reassuring his people of his unflinching commitment in protecting lives and properties, Wike said he does not take orders from anybody, noting that he would do everything to stem the spread of coronavirus in the state.

ALSO READ  Wike Lauds Supreme Court Judgment Over Oil Well

Reacting, Wike said; “Yesterday, it was ExxonMobil that brought 22 people into Rivers State. Although, service commanders, including the Commissioner of Police, are pleading that we should allow them to return to Uyo. I know their predicament because they take orders from Abuja.

“But, this one, I will fight this one. I have told the Attorney-General to prepare; we are going to Court against them. We will fight this fight legally. ExxonMobil cannot bring in 22 people illegally into Rivers State.

Recalled the federal government exempted oil and gas workers on essential service from COVID-19 restrictions in FCT, Lagos State and Ogun State.

Comments are closed.