Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

MONDAY MARKET: Borno Targets September For Reopening , Doles Out N1billion For Reconstruction

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, has approved the release of additional one billion naira towards completion of the ongoing reconstruction works at the Maiduguri Monday Market which was razed in February, this year.
Zulum announced the latest intervention on Monday in Maiduguri during an inspection visit to the market to assess progress of rebuilding.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

The governor also announced September 2023 as target for reopening of the market which has been closed for five months to undergo reconstruction.
“I want to assure you (traders and the people of Maiduguri) that we shall complete this reconstruction work very soon, insha’Allah. I am aware of the exigencies you have been facing, however, be assured that in the next 30 days, maximum 35 days we will complete this work bi iznillah. Maiduguri Monday Market will reopen on or before September 10 insha’ Allah”, Zulum said.
He added, “In view of the foregoing, I want to announce the release of another 1 billion naira to hasten the completion of works.
Zulum noted that the construction work will include the remodelling of the market where many traders lost their shops.
“We decided to remodel the market to allow vehicular movement inside, we put in place drainages for the free flow of sewage and rainwater. As a result of the remodelling, quite a number of shops have been demolished. To accommodate those that have lost their shops, we are building additional number of smaller shops.”
It would be recalled that Maiduguri Monday market was engulfed by an inferno on the 26th of February, 2023, after which the governor released an initial one billion naira as emergency palliative for affected traders.
Zulum released another one billion naira to kick-start the reconstruction of the market with a 23-member committee inaugurated to supervise the work.
The governor visited the market a number of times to supervise reconstruction works.
Zulum, in his latest visit commended the committee for their commitment to ensuring the market is put back on time.
“Let me convey my deep appreciation to the chairman and members of this committee (for their good job)”, the governor said.

Comments are closed.