Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

Court Slams Customs N5.5b Damages Over Seizure Of 90 Containers Of Imported Rice

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday, has awarded damages amounting to over N5.5billion in favour  of a firm, Maggpiy Trading TFZE., against the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) and the board  Chairman,  over the unlawful seizure of 90 containers of rice imported.

In a judgment , Justice Inyang Ekwo upheld the plaintiff’s claim and held that the 1stand 2nd respondents – NCS and the Chairman,Nigeria Customs Service Board  (NCSB) acted unlawfully and without any justification in law.

Justice Ekwo disclosed that Customs officials also pilfered the plaintiff’s rice while the case was pending and said such conduct by officials of the 1st and 2nd defendant is condemnable.

- Advertisement -

ALSO READ  Stakeholders Want FG To Donate Customs Sea-going Vessels For Maritime Academies Training 

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

The judge granted all the reliefs by the plaintiff and awarded specific and general damages against the 1st and 2nd defendants.

The damages is to the tune of N3,805,638,950 and $4,796,550.

Justice Ekwo also granted an order of perpetual injunction restraining the defendants from further unlawfully interfering with the lawful business transactions of the plaintiff within the Tinapa Free Trade Zone.

Maggpiy stated in its suit, marked: FHC/CA/CS/40/2017 that, on March 18, 2017, officials of the NCS invaded and sealed up its warehouse in the Tinapa Free Trade Zone, Calabar, containing about 90 containers of rice stored in air-tight containers.

ALSO READ  2Years After: Customs Set To Evacuate Over 10,000 Bags Of Expired Rice From Marine Command

The plaintiff said, in addition to sealing its warehouse with its content, officials of the NCS stole part of the seized rice and detained its 40 trucks, containing 317 transit containers of rice, destined for the Tinapa Free Trade Zone, without lawful justification for 120 days along Onne, Port-Harcourt road.

Comments are closed.