Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

AT LAST: LASG Shutdown Mosque Over Attack On Officials

The Lagos State Government on Thursday closed down the Agege Central Mosque , sequel to attack on officers of the state joint task force monitoring compliance with the social distancing directive of the government.

Worshippers at the mosque in their large number allegedly attacked the task force officials out to ensure public gatherings do not exceed 25 people.

The central mosque was shut down indefinitely by the officials of the Agege Local Government Council, even as the compound was also fumigated by the authorities

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Bola Ajao, the spokesperson of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), said over 300 worshippers launched the attack on the officials, throwing pebbles at their vehicles as well.

ALSO READ  ITPN Solicits Robust Working Relationship With LASG To Boost Tourism

“The team saw the Muslim faithful observing their solatul ishal in a large congregation contrary to the directive of total lockdown order of President Muhammad Buhari in order to stem the tide of the pandemic.

- Advertisement -

“A drama, however, ensued at the sight of government officials, the youth became aggressive and unruly with targeted attack on the officials. The crowd numbering about 300 rushed out of the mosque, chanting ALLAH Akbar and started throwing stones and hitting the vehicles. All entreaties to talk to the imam failed as the youth were unabated. The police were able to curtail the atmosphere and ensure safety of the team,” she said.

ALSO READ  AKERE MARKET FIRE: Sanwo Olu Compensates  Traders With N100m

The enforcement exercise was carried out on Tuesday by the state Special taskforce on COVID-19 consisting of LASEPA, Lagos Safety Commission, the Rapid Response and the Task force.

The agency said the team paid a visit to the mosque last week to sensitise on the pandemic and solicit compliance with measures.

Dolapo Fasawe, the General manager of LASEPA, while condemning the attack on the officials, said the gathering failed to comply with the executive order as the mosque was filled to capacity.

“The essence of social distancing is to curtain the spread of coronavirus. The people are endangering their lives and those of their neighbors. The government has a duty to protect the lives of the people,” she said.

ALSO READ  AT NDA PASSING-OUT PARADE: Tinubu Vows To Crush Terrorism, Poverty In Nigeria

Comments are closed.