Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

EAST- WEST ROAD: Gov Diri Wants President Tinubu To Sack Contractor Over Lack Of Capacity

.…Urges South-South Legislators To Prioritise Project

Governor of Bayelsa State, Senator Douye Diri, on Friday, appealed to President Bola Tinubu and the Federal Government to act swiftly to end the suffering of commuters at the Okogbe axis of the East-West road in Rivers State.

Governor Diri, who was stuck for more than two hours at the bad portion of the road on his way to the Niger Delta Stakeholders Summit in Port Harcourt, lamented that some commuters and vehicles had been on one spot for more than a week.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Speaking to journalists after an on-the-spot assessment, the Bayelsa governor said the contractor handling the culverts project lacked the capacity and should be sacked for causing pains to Nigerians.

According to a statement signed by Daniel Alabrah, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Bayelsa State on Friday, July 12, 2024, quoted the governor calling on South-South legislators in the National Assembly to make the issue of the uncompleted East-West road a matter of national priority on the floor of the national legislature.

ALSO READ  Gov. Zulum  Approves Armoured Carriers, Patrol Vehicles For Soldiers

Describing the situation as pathetic and unacceptable, Governor Diri said the road, which connects all South-South states, was too important to be left in such impassable state.

“You are all aware that the same flood of 2022 damaged roads in Bayelsa and we have fixed all of them. So how come an important road like this will be in this bad state? I am pained.

- Advertisement -

“Let me appeal to Mr. President to call all relevant officials concerning this road to ensure that the work is done to reduce the suffering of our people. From what I see, there is no plan on the part of the contractor and the company should be sacked.”

ALSO READ  Death Rumour, Tompolo Is  Alive In High Spirit – Aide

He also stated that as the region that lays the golden egg for the country, the Niger Delta people deserve better than the pitiable situation on the road and urged the Minister of Works, Engr. Dave Umahi, to visit the bad portions to see things for himself.

Diri recalled that the road was damaged during the 2022 floods, which also seriously affected Bayelsa, but that the state had within one year fixed all the roads destroyed in more than four local government areas and wondered why the federal government allowed the rehabilitation work on the East-West road to linger for so long.

Speaking with Mr. Kingsley Onyema, the project supervisor of the company handling the project, Rock Result, the governor questioned the rationale behind not making a section of the road passable for motorists rather than working on both lanes at the same time.

ALSO READ  Christian Group Tasks FG On Humanitarian Crises In Benue State

While appealing to people of the region to be patient, he dismissed claims by the contractor that drivers were impatient and urged the contractor to speed up the pace of work on the project.

He said: “It is chaotic, pathetic and unbelievable that this is happening to an oil producing area that lays the golden egg for our country.

“The way forward is for the Federal Government to realise that an urgent step must be taken now. I commend the good intentions of the Federal Government but the Minister of Works need to come here and see things for himself and not rely on information from the contractor. I have spoken to the Minister about this road.”

 

 

 

Comments are closed.