Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

The news is by your side.

- Advertisement -

RECAAP: Singapore Records 50%  Pirate Attacks On Ships Along Asia Waters In 2021

The Singapore Straits accounted for over half of all piracy and armed robbery incidents against ships in 2021, according to the ReCAAP Information Sharing Centre (ISC).

Presenting its annual report ReCAAP said there were total of 82 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships reported last year, a decrease of 15% compared to 2020. It was also the second lowest number of incidents in the 15 years that ReCAAP has been in operation.

“The overall situation in Asia in 2021 has improved compared to 2020,” Masafumi Kuroki, Executive Director of ReCAAP ISC, told an online media briefing on Tuesday.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

However, a continued increase of incidents in the Singapore Straits saw it accounting for more than half of attacks in Asia last year with 49 some incidents, compared to 34 in 2020. It is the second highest number off incidents in the key waterway in the last 15 years, with a high of 99 in 2015.

ALSO READ  Shanghai  Retains World’s No One Container Port For 14 Consecutive Years 

The vast majority of incidents, 43, were in the eastbound lane of the Singapore Strait in Indonesian waters with 26 clustered around Tanjung Pergram at the eastern entrance to the waterway.

Kuroki noted the severity of the incidents was “rather low level”. Some 69.5% of the incidents were ranked as “category 4” by ReCAAP meaning the perpetrators were not armed and the crew was not harmed.

- Advertisement -

“I hope this increasing trend from 2019 will be stopped as early as possible,” Kuroki said.

“We have recommended to strengthen their [Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia] coordination, and also to respond promptly to incidents reported by ships and arrest, and prosecute the perpetrators because the arrest of the perpetrators is a very importance deterrence.”

ALSO READ  Singapore Targets 5G Mobile Network Coverage For Maritime Operations In 2025

So far in 2022 there have been four incidents in the Singapore Strait, two of which were in the eastbound lane of the Traffic Separation Scheme.

As to what has caused the increase in incidents in the busy waterway Kuroko said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has caused a deterioration of the economic conditions in many areas and regions, and I think that is one of the main reasons why incidents increased in the Singapore Strait.”

Another area that saw rise in incidents in 2021 was at anchorage in Manila, Philippines with nine incidents. “Particularly what was concerning to us was the treatment of crew. We saw several incidents occur with violence against the crew,” he said.

ALSO READ  China Reduces Quarantine  Period For Vessels Sailing From International To Domestic Trades

In three incidents guns were point at crew and seafarers tied up, and in another incident there was an attempted stabbing of a seafarer.

“We worked closely with the Philippines authorities to address this situation, to prevent the escalation of the situation,” Kuroki said. The Philippines arrested two members of a criminal syndicate behind the attacks in September and November, and no further incidents have been reported since September last year.

 

 

Comments are closed.